Total Pageviews

Monday, January 16, 2017

Easy Pins and Paws Quilt Block

I was thrilled to see Jenny's "Easy Pins and Paws Quilt Block" tutorial! This is the cutest block and I plan on making lots of them.

I am learning more and more that "piecing", or cutting small pieces and sewing them together to form a block really can be challenging. It's the actual accuracy of the cutting that makes it a challenge, as well as being careful when sewing.

In this block I am working with my pink fabric, and with a white Kona cotton charm pack as the background.

A charm pack is a package of usually about forty 5 square inch pieces of fabric, either solid or in a line of coordinating colors. This is what is called "pre-cuts" fabric that comes in different sizes already cut for you, such as the 5" and 10", and 2.5", and more.

This is a fairly simple block with four pieces for the kitty and three for the background. I have made four kitties and in the upper photo I put a sample of the different pinks I used.

This is another block (see previous post) where you will need to "snowball" some corners - to make the kitty's back and to make the ears. I got a lot of experience doing this as I made my four blocks.
Jenny Doan's snowballing technique, while I'm pretty sure she didn't invent it, replaces making half-square triangles. The more you do the easier they become.



 Here's my completed kitty block. As you can see, it needs to be "squared up", or straightened. I expect the block to be about 9.5 square inches.

+Annie's Tips: Check and double check your cuts and 1/4 inch seams. This will be a continuing theme!
                                                                      Purrrrrty in Pink 
- my four pink kitty blocks that I will make into an 18" pillow cover that will delight some little girl!

This block would make an adorable baby quilt, mug rugs, place mats or wall hangings.  Everybody who loves cats will love this block. There are a lot of ways you can make this even more creative, such as embroider eyes and noses and whiskers on the kitties! Have fun!

Please sign up for my posts as I quilt along with Jenny Doan's tutorials.

Thanks for reading...
~Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment